Sunday 31 August 2008

The Initial Assessment, 15th Jan 2008

The posts is extracts from my dairy and emails to my parents who lives in Austria.

This is the first appointment I had at the South of England Cochlear Implant Centre. The assessment tells them if the assessment is worthy enough to get on to the CI candidacy assessments.
When I got my new hearing aid (siemens) back in september 2007 at the new hospital wasn't working so they used my old aids Widex which I had for 8 years.
The first assessment i had was hearing test. In my right ear my loss is 95db at 250hz sloping down, i have no High freq recored. In my left the loss is 110db sloping down, again with no High freq, I haven't worn an aid in this ear for 15 years due to ongoing tinntius problem.
The lipreading with aid in was 41%, without sound it was 28% and without lipreading a measly 2%! I was laughing at this as i really tried so hard to hear A word! it was impossible.
The audiologist did say I may not benefit from getting CI. I visited the consulant he said same thing BUT he wanted to see me again... Phew, He said i have very good speech (for a profoundly deaf) and would like to see how the tests would go.
Few days later I had pile of letters on my door step, counted them 6 from the SOECIC! all listed with appointments! Most of them in Feb and Feb is just round the corner.. so soon!

1 comment:

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Woo hoo...on your way!

Jennifer