Sunday 31 August 2008

The day is finally here.. 16th July.

I woke up at about 6, opened the curtians. Saw a pretty grey and white cat lying in the road thought it was sleeping, we have alot of cats on this street. I have one so it's not new to see cats lounging about in the sunshine on the roads also it was very quiet road.

Went to mum's room and told her about the cat as I have the feeling something isn't right.

I had quick shower and took Boris, my dog, for quick walk. Mum went to see the cat, sadly it was victim of a car. Mum moved the cat into my garden (I have fenced front garden) and took it's tags off so she'll call the owners when we get to the hospital.

We Arrived at the Nuffield Hospital in Chandlers Ford and it was only 15 mins drive. I arrived at 7 am. I was assigned to my own room right next to nurses station probably because I am deaf. I had my own nurse well 4 nurses through out my stay at the hospital.

At 7.30 I srrived into my room, there was good luck balloons and a present from my friend Abbi. It was lovely balloons and the present was a teddy bear which I put on my bed. My nurse "Mary" she was lovely. She took my vitals, said my vitals couldn't be any better than 100% sats, got me to wear those pressure socks, I changed into gown and put dressing gown on. My Anesthesist came in huffing and puffing, he checked my forms etc and dashed out! He was good looking one, shame he didn't stay any longer! My mum called to the cat's owner, it was so sad, the cat was called Gizmo and was only a year old.

My operation was scheduled for 8.30. Bang just before my time Mary walked with me to the theatre which is about 10 steps away! I laid on the bed while the staff put the pads on, put cannula in, my surgeon came in and said it will be okay. Mary was asking me what I would dream about, I said sailing in the caribean.. the mask was put on me and the drugs were put in, at excatly same time I looked at the analogue clock, it read 8.30 am, poof, I was gone.

I came round, everything were in a blur and saw the clock which said 9.05 i thought damn the operation didn't go ahead for some reason but the different nurse saw me and said "All Over", I was bit confused and saw Mary, I was relieved for a familar face, Mary said, It's quarter to one and the operation went very well, I was under for 4 hours. The other nurse was my new nurse as there was shift change over, but Mary being so nice and considerate she stayed until I came round properly. The new one was called Lorna.
They checked if I was in any pain, nope, feeling sick, nope, dizzy, nope. I was wheeled back to my room. I was very thirsty. My mum and nana was waiting. I was given Injection of antibiotics, dressed in my Pj's just before Mary went home. I walked (with Lorna's help)to the toilets less than an hour after my op! Mum and Nana left at about 3pm I spent rest of the afternoon drifting in and out. I was asleep until my Uncle Peter came over (he lives in Chandlers Ford) at about 5pm, I was so hungry! They gave me some sandwiches and soup, whilst eating the surgeon saw me and was pleased to see me sitting up and eating. My friend Laura came over. It was lovely to see her. Had another nurse change over, Erica, another very nice nurse, she admistered another injection of antibiotics, it was irritating and horrible, it took good 10 mins to get all in, I think it was 50ml, a huge injection but I was glad it was the last one. I had good nights sleep and had slept on my implanted side with no problems.
I was discharged the next morning after x-ray and went home with bag of pills, I had Anti biotics, anti inflammatories and painkillers which they advised me to take them anyway to keep fever abay even I wasn't in any pain. Here picture of me the day I got home from the hospital.


My X-Rays

1 comment:

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Great photo! Xrays must be something they only do in England?? I saw that Katie also had them after surgery. I've seen no one from the US having xrays. Hmmm.

Jennifer