Thursday 11 September 2008

Little update


I went back to the centre today to have my processor tuned up as I was maxed out, When the processor were turned up I had this awful feelings again as I did on my activcation day. Understandably I was so worried and it felt like I took a lot of steps back, I thought I went to the centre because I was improving! Sarah tried alot of ways for about 45 mins then eventually she ended up turning 4 of the electrodes off, Ahhh...thats is so much better and Sarah were able to turn things up as loud as I could bear without feeling the jolts on the side of my head. I think I have 10,11,12,13 turned off and 1,2 switched back on, I can hear her counting clear as day, also hear her saying the days of the week (of course with lipreading), 3 of programs are now same but different loudness and on P4 i have faster speed. I was relieved! I can now hear myself talking clearer and the telly is clearer too... Hope this is the way forward from now on... :-)

I am looking forward to my first hair cut with the CI next thursday! It had been nearly 5 months since I had my hair trimmed! In April I knew I would be implanted so didn't bother having my hair done.
Did you explain to the hairdresser that you have an implant on your head? did you tell them to be gentle? Any tips greatly appericated. Thank you

8 comments:

Katie-Louise's blog said...

Hey, I'm glad that you have sorted the implant. At last you can hear alot better now. Let see what can you hear this week - make sure you post it, eh!

I went for my hair cut 2 weeks after I were switched on, I didn't say owt to them as I didn't think it would bother the implaant area. It didn't bother it at all, so I was ok! Since you have thin skin, it probably better off if you did tell them and of course they'll wonder why one part of your hair is short where I mine were ok as i didn't have any hair shaved!

Charlotte said...

Yeah my implant is quite promient, I just don't want to freak them out!! LOL! They also do head massage (it was quite firm) I think I'll tell them to leave the massaging and wash my hair as normal.
Will post what I hear sometime next week.

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

I always take mine off for a hair cut because i worry they will cut the wire!! I let them know i'm deaf and tell them what haircut i would like before i take it off! Theres not really any tips apart from just let them know about it and tell them to be careful in that area and not apply too much pressure when they are washing your hair! Glad you got your CI sorted too and you are starting to hear more clearly too! x

Charlotte said...

Of Course without Processor! LOL... Thanks Laura.

Cyborg Queen said...

Well, i tell them ahead of time that they may feel a weird bump when combing over the implant area. You may want to tell them to be a bit gentle when combing. I know after I had my surgery and got a haircut, the implant area was still a bit sore.
That's pretty much it. :-D

I had very long hair, so they didn't bother being so close to the implant area. ;-)

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Great news, Charlotte!

I hope Amanda has as much success with her mapping tomorrow!

Jennifer :-D

Abbie said...

Hi Charlotte! I'm new to your blog. I have been doing some catching up and I was just reading this. I am glad that your audi finally got your implant all situated. I had the same issue with maxing out on my volume amongst other issues

Even prior to my implant I had worn a hearing aid that I would remove because I get my whole head highlight in addition to cutting. She knew to let me know when she needed my attention.

David said...

I hate haircuts because I can't stand being in the "quiet zone" for the length of the cut.