Thursday 1 January 2009

Good bye 2008, Hello 2009

As I type this the old year had just gone with bang, Elton John is blasting away on piano making wonderful piece of music which I wouldn't have experinced pre implant. There is fireworks going off outside, lots of popping, bangs, whistling.

Looking back in 2008, It had to be a great year for me because,

I started my Cochlear implant journey on 15th of January 2008.
I had the operation on 16th July.
I heard highs for the first time in my life on 20.08.2008 (notice the date :-))
Began my hearing journey, I have experienced alot of firsts with sounds, made first phone call, first at recognising different sounds. It had been an amazing journey not just for me, for my whole family and friends. I gratefully thankful for them for their incredible patience and curiosity.

I am blessed with my wonderful parents who left British soil for better life in Austria in Feb 2008, this had given me a wake up call and to be self reliant over night, no more texts to mum saying " can you do this, that?" " can you call this that for me" no more popping into their house for help/advice and my dad's suppers (so that i get away from cooking) the list goes on, I managed do most by myself now and some times when things get difficult I have wonderful next door neighbour Lyn, she has got blind mum whom she cares for 24/7, she would also help me in any aspects and phone calls is one of them! Often I ask her to dog sit (she and her mum loved having him) so I can go out and enjoy my life, she would do it without hesitation.

This year, 2009....
I would go to a centre in Lydhurst and try out the phones, hopefully to purchase a proper house phone, not the minicom type, a proper talking phone!
Do more listening practices with use of accessorises from cochlear, website, ipod and computer, thank you Katie-Louise for her great tips.
Find victims to talk to on the phone!

I think this is enough for this year to start off.

And the worst thing in 2008 is jobs... I am out of job as of 17th Jan, sadly, but won't dwell on it as i gotta to think postive (as my brother says)something will come up eventually.

Hope your old year was good one and happy new year.

No comments: