Friday 23 January 2009

New year and new hobby!

Last few weeks had been bit of turmoil. I had problems with listening to voices and too much environmental sounds, also the new settings (early Dec) on my processor were strangely too loud, i couldn't turn it down further on my favored program! I asked my usual Audi pre Xmas to check it out but as it's Xmas it was difficult so i had to make do with quiet setting until last Monday.

I went to the centre with list of problems. Before we started with new tune up she did hearing test with the levels I was comfortable at it was 40 db across but with a dip to 50/60 in the middle (1000/2000 Hz), we had no idea why this is happening. She also tested me at my uncomfortable levels (thank god for sound proof room) it was 15/20 with a dip in the middle also. It indicates that there's tweaking needed. Audi also noticed that I was talking very quietly... yeah the setting is too loud for me!

We had quite a long session. I had my DR (dynamic range) moved wider so I have more of quiet sounds (comfort levels) and more of louder sounds (threshold) but balanced if that makes sense (perhaps someone on board will explain better).
We tried slower speed but I found it too flat, we worked on faster speed but similar map to my previous map of slower speed.
I also had my NRT (nerve response test) done, it was done while I was under GA during my cochlear implantation operation to test each electrodes to see the responses to nerves and the thresholds I can tolerate, it is quite unpleasant test, I couldn't do it during my 3 month review. It wasn't too bad this time round, The levels met the thresholds now which is good. The unpleasant ones I had experienced, are the ones switched off (I have 4 off).

Since Monday I had few new experiences, I was tapping away on my computer, watching telly which is quite loud to hearing person I HEARD my washing machine click when it finished!! it was about 30 feet away also I had started to put my phone on ring instead of vibrate alert, and began to notice when it rings not on me but around the house! These sound would have never happened if I didn't go for CI! I was in awe with these sounds.

I had Claire over for the night, her job isn't far from my house, she's also CI user, she had hers for nearly 3 months and is doing well. I asked her if she could hear my dog on the tiles, cat meow... that kind of thing. It was new sounds to her.

I took up new Hobby, Thought it's time to meet groups... Dog Agility. Man, that was fun. Boris and I loved it. It involves alot of listening and communication with the dog, also there's group of us, lots of barking dogs... listening is hard! I had to teach Boris new words like Up (jump over poles) tunnel, weave, left or right, at the same time the coach was yapping (I couldn't understand her without lipreading) but managed to enjoy the fun.

3 comments:

Manda said...

That is so brilliant, Charlotte! I had the same problem as mine seem to be going quieter after few mins but got it sorted just like you did. Good to know that you are picking up a new hobby to train yourself and your dog some new sounds. Keep it up Char! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello

The Brights said...

Thanks for the post on our blog. It is nice to hear from an adult CI user who is experiencing something similar. I am really hoping that a minor adjustment will make things much better. Too bad we still have a few weeks to wait.

Thanks again for chiming in!