Thursday 2 October 2008

Bon Voyage Laura.....


Boris and Tor


Laura in red, Me in White.

My friend Laura and her parnter Miles had just landed in South Africa this morning for few months work in South Africa and then delivering a boat to South America (near cape horn and i have been there!!)for further few months of work with Mission Antarctica , We (our friends/families) won't see her for good few months. And shall miss her alot.

Laura had been (and will always be) an incredible friend, she had been through my cochlear implant assessments, operation and the aftermath. I couldn't have done this journey with ease as I needed someone with incredible patience, calm nature which Laura has and not many people have this. She would often take time out of her busy day to do listening practice at my home. With her help I heard alot of sounds.

Last weekend was her last weekend with us for few months maybe a year, We had wonderful weekend of long walks, fantastic food, wines. Our friends (there was 11 of us) just chipped in with cooking wonderful dinners, making teas, having good banter! Boris and Tor became a good furfriends, they had great time running with the ball and on long walks.

In the last few days I have been helping her pack up her flat so she could rent it out while she's away. I had the responsibility of taking a Hire Van over to Kent nearly 3 hours away where she stored her stuff at her parents house. At her parent's We met up with her 2 sisters for the evening meal and a sleep over. I dropped her off at Heathrow Airport last night, I didn't want to cry in front of her because i don't want her to cry at the airport also she had been wet eyed at the weekend, she was so excited about this trip of lifetime. I was filled with tears seeing a green hooded top and blue jeans figure walking with trolley full of bags as I drove away.

I made my way back to depot where i got the van from. then went into her flat... it was so bare, no life at all... no sounds of laughter, talking, music, dogs playing. Just complete silence. It sent chill down my spine. I have few of Laura's stuff at my house... radio to help with listening, CD player again to help with listening, and a rug for my bare thread carpet. Laura.... don't expect them back, Ha ha. I really hope she would have fantastic time.

3 comments:

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

aw you are lucky to have such a good friend and you have spent many journeys together!

Im sure you and Laura will stay in touch through the months! A friend like you never lose! :0)

*Tasha* said...

Hello! I just found your blog!!

So... do you hear the water yet? The slapping of the sails... :) *smile*

Very interesting reading! Did you just go bilateral, since I see you got a CI back in Oct-ish?

Charlotte said...

Hi Tasha, Thank you for your comment.
I can hear the wind and slapping upon the hull.
I got single CI in july (16th) and was activcated 20th August so i am nearly 7 weeks hearing old...