Sunday 22 March 2009

Happy Mother's day, Mum

Hi Mum, Hope you are having great day and dad is spoiling you for us (my brother and I) I am sorry I couldn't be there with you but I am there in spirit. I appreciate your help over the years and I love you (and dad) very much. Hope you are coming back in UK for a visit soon.

Since it's Mother's Day today in UK, I attempted to call my mum, sadly the phone weren't loud enough so I had to text her instead.

Few days ago I was annoyed by response of the sensory centre who helps deaf/HOH people to test out phones. My cochlear implant recommended me and a friend also a CI user to the sensory centre. We arrived there expecting to try at least one phone but left without trying ONE phone. The lady said we need phone training...eh! and they are sorting this out with my CI centre, why would my CI centre tell us to go there without "phone training" also this is very first we had heard of and the CI centre never mentioned this. So we have to wait until at least April for our appointment. I so wanted to get the phone that I can use/hear well/clarity is clear enough so I could call my mum on her Mother's day as I know this would make her day. Oh well... Never mind, there's next year, mum.

On good note I am picking up alot of new sounds....

I can hear my mobile phone ringing in the next room!!!

I have the pleasure of hearing my beloved dog Boris tags jangling while we are out walking. This gave me chance to keep walking knowing his whereabouts up to about 30 feet without looking, if the jangling stops, I would check for him. Pre Implant I was always looking around and keeping eye on Boris, I was frightened for his safety.

Yesterday, We were playing ball. I threw a ball over towards to the pavement, Boris ran so fast and stopped on the pavement.. I could hear him skidding on the pavement... owwwiieee!! that must be painful, I checked his paws... tough little bugger was fine!

I can tell the difference between different bird singing.. Magpies, Jays, Crow, but having difficulty identifying black bird, blue tit their singing is very high and sound similar. I walk around the park hearing all those singing at ease, no struggling to listen.

So far I had same mapping since before I went to Austria more than 2 months ago, it does need tiny tweaking but I think I would settle for this mappings until Mid May when I go for my 9 month tune up, But I don't think I need much of tune up.

Mum's cherry tree had bloomed, daffodils had come out and it had been really beautiful and sunny all week. Hope this would continue next week as I am off to Centre Parc for long weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your wishes on mothers day, I could not wish for a better Daughter.
Its wonderful you can hear Boris's tag and the differences between the bird sounds. I was thinking about your Grandfather Basil and how sad he was to think you would never hear those sounds. I wish he could see you now!
I shall be home in the early summer maybe when you have your 9mth tune up.

mum x x

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlotte, I read your entire blog and I found it very interesting. As you know, I was born deaf and almost 30, so we might have similar experiences with the implant. Your 86% CUNY score is pretty impressive, and I would be happy to achieve that level of understanding.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about all of your new hearing experiences with your cochlear implant. Was your hearing loss progressive? How long did you wear hearing aids for?

Like you, I'm an oral deaf adult and I now have bilateral cochlear implants. So does my teenage daughter. She got her first implant when she was 6 and mine was in my 30s.

I look forward to reading more. I particularly enjoy the descriptions and photos of where you and your parents live. I'm in the United States.

I'm going to put your blog on my site's blogroll and I hope you'll do the same for me. My site is http://www.HearingExchange.com.

deafdude said...

Wow 100db aided with CI is insanely bad! How did it ever get that bad? I am very glad she was able to give you a new map that plays nice with your brain and allows you to hear the highs well again.

Its amazing you are able to reach 20db soon. You only had 40db when you first got CI, this would have been alot worse than what im hearing with HAs. I did post on my blog that 40db is average with CI and had included your 40db results among many others. I still see alot of people getting only 40db with CI though.

I have no idea what im missing by not hearing high frequencies, well I do notice whistles are silent(besides the wooshing of air) and I can't hear the birds my dad can. Your hearing was not only 15db worse than mine, for some reason you were hearing worse with new HAs than your old Widex HAs.

Looking at your aided scores, you scored 30db, 45db, 60db at 250Hz, 500Hz, 1000Hz. You probably had no hearing above 1000Hz. My audiologist could potentally get me to 10db at 250Hz, 20db at 500Hz, 30db at 1000Hz. As for the high(er) frequencies, ill have to see how well transposition addresses this once it's enabled. But my audie doesn't recommend CI for me since I have too much residual hearing and he feels ill benefit as much from a HA.

Regards, Deafdude