Wednesday 18 February 2009

6 month evaluation

Today I had my 6 month evaluation.....

I am still in the 30/35 db range, since i still experience loud environmental sounds they can't be any better yet.

But.... I got 86% for CUNY! (lipreading and voice) yay!!

Tried the BKB (ransom sentences with voice but no lipreading).... got few words but still can't make out the sentences.

I didn't have any mapping change as the current ones seems to suit me at the moment. Sarah the Audi did add extra to one of my program to enable me to hear the ipod bit better.

Had Speech/language therapy, the therapist was chuffed to bits with my speech comparing to 1 year ago (pre CI), I was told that my speech would NOT improve, proved them wrong didn't I and I didn't have any speech therapy since the switch on (actually since I was 16). She tested some sentences without lipreading, got approx 20 out of 30 sentences right!! whoooo hooo... never thought I would achieve this! I am pleased as punch as everything seems to be on the right path.

At the end of my evaluation I volunteered to help Sarah and another Audi to be their guinea pig, testing a new equipment that they haven't tried before today. I was the 2nd guinea pig to test for them... I think they need more practice to make it sense!!
Basically the new test is similar ABR (auditory brainstem response)test which I had during my candiacy assessment. This time they are doing this with the implant. The connections is same as ABR and using same connections as we would have done with mapping, all I had was 4 sticky electrodes on my head, processor plugged in to the computer, it reads the waves of my brain responses to the sound using the CI.
They want to see how people progress with their auditory nerve/brain stem before and after CI operation. Pre implant I had poor responses (in their words) and today the responses is very good.

Overall it had been great afternoon! Sarah had booked me down for 3 months time instead of 6 month, she felt that I would need another tune up/envaluation sooner than 6 month.

Oh the spring is here for me.... Heard the birds sing this morning.. Can't wait for my Mum's cherry tree to bloom and the tulips to emerge as they are my favourtie flowers.

3 comments:

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

aw glad the 6th month map went well!
and dont the birds sound gorgous!! :D x

Anonymous said...

i never doubted for one moment that you would prove them all wrong. You have been doing it all your life. I remember your first speach therapist tell us that you would never speak properly or clearly oh how wrong they were!
you and your brother devlopeing your own language till you went to school,your 1st audible word-chocolate-from then on it was a big game to learn speech and you learnt fast. So what better role model and guinea pig for other new users. For you the word can't is not in the dictionary - never has been, never will be.
your sooooooo proud Mum & Dad.x

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Charlotte,

Don't you just LOVE being able to say, "I TOLD you so!"

Wonderful progress! I'm so happy for you!

Jennifer ♥